Candy Corn Cupcakes

I made these candy corn cupcakes on the weekend!
They were so much fun and 
I loved bringing them to our Thanksgiving Gathering!
After posting a picture on my facebook page
I got a bunch of inquires about them...
so I decided to blog about it. 

 
 Aren't they lovely?! Just a reminder -Even though my shop has the word "cupcake" in the name it is the COTTON cupcake shoppe, I don't actually sell real cupcakes! From time to time I get e-mails asking for prices for my cupcakes...haha. One time someone inquired about getting 500 cupcakes  made by me for an event :) WOW! I had to politely decline.
So, here's the recipe I used for the cupcakes: 
(PS -I found it here)

1 18.25-oz. white cake mix
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 tsp. almond extract
Yellow and orange Wilton food gel (about a heaping 1/2 tsp. of each)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with white paper liners. Combine all ingredients except for food coloring in a large bowl and beat on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then beat on medium for 2 additional minutes. Divide batter equally into two bowls. Mix about 1/2 heaping tsp. of yellow coloring into one bowl of batter and 1/2 heaping tsp. of orange coloring into the other bowl. 
 
 
Divide the yellow batter evenly among the muffin tins.  Holding the edges of each pan firmly, bang the pan a few times on the counter to level out the batter. (I found it worked to use a spoon to 'smooth' each color into the liner) Repeat the process with the orange batter. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes in the pan and then allow to cool completely on a cooling rack. 
 As for the icing...let me begin by saying I have NEVER been able to make decent 'pipe-able' icing.  I tried this recipe, and it worked wonderfully using the Wilton 1M decorating tip!  And I think the trick with this icing is to mix it for a lonnnnng time!
"Pipe-able" Vanilla Icing
1 1/2 cups butter, cut into chunks and softened
3 tablespoons whipping cream
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups icing sugar

Beat the butter, cream, vanilla, and salt together in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.  Reduce the mixer speed to medium-low and slowly add the icing sugar, and beat until incorporated and smooth, 4 to 6 minutes.  Increase the mixer speed to medium-high and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy, 5 to 10 minutes.

 And, finally, a little glimpse into the middle.  Let me know if you try these out!! They would be perfect for Halloween!! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment